Kennedy Capital Management (KCM) is a St. Louis-based, boutique investment firm that has focused on a goal of generating superior returns in the micro, small and mid-cap domestic equity markets for our clients for more than 40 years. Our team’s top priority is working for institutions and high-net-worth individuals, fostering an entrepreneurial culture that results in mutually beneficial long-term relationships. We are currently seeking to add a Research Associate to our team.
The Research Associate assists Research Analysts and Portfolio Managers with the analysis of company fundamentals including financial data, competitive position, macroeconomic and microeconomic factors and other opportunities and risks to determine equity valuations. Research Associates will work with the Research Analysts to build financial models and to communicate industry information and investment recommendations through both oral and written communications. Research Associates will constantly look to improve their knowledge and experience base through project work with Research Analysts and Portfolio Managers with the goal of gaining a stronger knowledge of our investment process and eventually gaining their own industry coverage.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Conduct fundamental analysis including creating and maintaining earnings, valuation and industry models. By leveraging skills in finance, accounting, and economics, creates financial models in order to assess the intrinsic value of a business compared to the value the market is assigning it. This will include return on investment, cash flow, balance sheet and income statement evaluations.
- Stay abreast of day-to-day industry-related news flow with ability to assess news impact on company valuations and be able to articulate the impact in both oral and written communications to Analysts and Portfolio Managers.
- Get in front of industry and individual company trends through conferences, trade shows, government data, industry data and communication with company managements, including company visits. Also draw information from competitors, suppliers, customers, surveys, industry data, and other investment colleagues.
- Be an active ambassador for the Kennedy Capital Management brand.
- Maintain strong focus on compliance and risk management.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Strong interest in equity research and global financial markets with a solid quantitative background.
- BA/BS degree required.
- Ability to demonstrate competence with numerical concepts and tools including experience of working with, developing and improving financial models.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills, exhibiting a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team player and interact effectively with others throughout the organization.
- Solid knowledge of equity and fixed income analytics and concepts.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines without compromising accuracy or attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Pursuit of MBA, CFA® or CPA is strongly preferred.
- This position is based in our offices in St. Louis, Missouri. There is no relocation package offered with this position.
- At Kennedy, you’ll have the support and flexibility to achieve your professional and personal goals, surrounded by diverse colleagues with high ethical standards.
- Meaningful and challenging work opportunities to help the team continue to meet Kennedy’s investment objectives.
- Through investment skill-building, leadership development and working with an experienced investment team, we provide opportunities to help nurture your investment acumen and grow your career in institutional investing.
- Competitive compensation and semi-annual bonus.
- Solid benefits package with coverage starting on date of hire.
- A strong 401(k) plan with generous company match and possible end-of-year discretionary match.
- Encouragement to maintain a healthy work life balance through flexibility and wellness incentives.
- Multiple team building and volunteer opportunities.
Commitment to Diversity
Kennedy Capital Management is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in our mission, vision and values statements. Our policies are intended to provide further guidance on creating a workplace that values each employee and supports the way we do business.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennedy Capital Management offers equal employment and advancement opportunities for all qualified individuals without distinction or discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, marital or family status, protected veterans’ status, genetic information or other basis prohibited by law. This policy extends to all employees and applicants and in all aspects of the employment relationship.